The Keller House was constructed by a Colville contractor, Mr. D.H. Kimple, for J.H. "Harry" Young in 1910. Young had come to Colville in 1885 from Spokane where he had operated a stage line from Spokane to Fort Spokane.
Louis G. Keller married Young's widow, Anna, in 1915. They resided in the beautiful home built by Young and soon became noted for their gracious entertaining. Lou Keller was from a wealthy Cincinnati family, and came to Colville in 1907 and opened a hardware business with his brother William, and L. Stannus.
Located in the Rickey building, Stannus-Keller Hardware became one of the most flourishing enterprises in Northeast Washington. In addition to being a prominent merchant, Keller became a leading figure in the growth of Colville as a commercial center of the Northeast. He was instrumental in forming the Colville Chamber of Commerce, and in 1910 he became its first president.
From 1923 to 1944 Keller was the sole owner and operator of Keller's Hardware. He retired and sold out to Louis Strauss, owner of Barman's Dry Goods, in 1944.
Keller's civic-minded generosity has survived him. In his will he bequeathed his estate to the City of Colville to be used for historical purposes and for the benefit of the public. Under the guidance of the Stevens County Historical Society, the Keller Historical Park has expanded its service to the public.
The house is presently occupied by a curator who takes care of and shows the house to visitors. Those wishing to tour inside the house must do so by appointment only, from 1-4 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday.
The Keller House is a fine example of fashionable and elegant early 20th century architecture.
It was the home of two of Colville's early civic and business leaders, John J. Young (1854-1914) and Louis G. Keller (1881-1966), prominent among the small group of people whose dedication and foresight turned the frontier mining town of Colville into a thriving commercial center.